After two week of Winter Break, we were all looking forward to getting back to our regularly scheduled program but nature had a different idea. It is now -12 degrees (but feels like -37…because -12 wasn’t bad enough!) and every parent I know is now praying for school at least on Wednesday. Since we knew it was going to be cold, I hit three grocery stores in one afternoon so I wouldn’t have to leave the house unless absolutely necessary once it got cold. Then on Saturday night I used my biggest pot to make my mother’s vegetable soup and then made a small pot of Cream of Mushroom Soup. The rest of the week is all about warm, comfort food.
- Homemade Fish Nuggets with Tartar Sauce
- Homemade Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
- Sauteed Green Beans
- Banana Strawberry Bread (My Banana Bread calls for Plain Greek Yogurt but I only had strawberry. It was extra delicious!)
- TIP: I used frozen Cod Nuggets from Trader Joe’s but next time I’ll buy the whole piece of fish. The nuggets have too many little pieces that aren’t worth dipping and breading; and I’ll make twice as much. The fish went faster than the macaroni did!
- Vegetable Soup
- Sloppy Joe’s on Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns (or lettuce for the adults)
- Broccoli Slaw – I buy the bag of Broccoli Slaw (better than the bagged cole slaw) and use a white vinegar, oil, sugar, dry mustard dressing. It ads a nice crunch to the Sloppy Joe’s and it’s really good on cold cuts.
- Baked Ziti (made a few weeks ago and put in the freezer)
- Carrots and cucumbers
- Winter Harvest Vegetable Soup – from the freezer, of course
- Chicken Fajitas
- Mushrooms, onions and peppers
- Steamed Broccoli
- Fake sour cream
- Leftover Night
Friday – This Friday our son has a sleepover at our shul so I picked one of our favorite meals that he used to love. I look forward to not having to beg him to eat it.
- Black Bean Soup – a favorite of my daughter’s so I make it without the jalapeños
- Fish Tacos
- Corn, Avocado, Tomato Salad
- Creamy Cilantro Dressing
- Sauteed Spinach
- Chocolate Chip, Cranberry, Oatmeal Cookies
Happy cooking and stay warm out there!